September 11, 2001 changed our lives.
As BSA Troop 9168 members dispatch our flags,
members recall the tragic events of that day.
It is with a certain amount of irony that this publication is recognizing the American worker and also honoring those that lost their lives during the horrific events that occurred September 11, 2001. Because on that date, 2977 people left their homes to board one of the 4 planes used during the attack or headed for work in the Pentagon or the World Trade Center or perhaps were first responders that never to returned home. That event changed lives all over the world. Some of our members have provided their recollection of that day's tragedy in this newsletter. We all have our stories of that day. What is yours? These are the stories that bind us together in spite of our differences and make our country stronger and proud to be an American displaying our flag. We invite you our reader to provide your story. Should you wish to share your story, click the blue box below.
From Lewisville Morning Rotary Member Jeff Lighton:
My 911 started as a normal day driving to work. As I drove the radio was describing an incident in New York as a plane has crashed into a World Trade Center building. Typical news cast as I drove no one really new what size plane it was at the time. I arrived at the office to see several co- workers watching the news in the conference center. I went into look and get more information when right before our eyes the second plane came into the picture and hit the second tower. We were all stunned as the news of the third plane hitting the pentagon came out. I had a flash back as I sat in the board room watching as the towers burned. I sat in a board room in 1986 in Houston and we stopped the meeting to watch the space shuttle Columbia lift off on the TV in the corner. It blew up.
As I sat literally watching the towers burn in a construction company office we were all wondering what first responders could do in a tower that size before it might be extinguished. Then it began collapsing floor by floor into rubble. Chaos inside, reports were bidding in basements when the second tower followed. Here it was just shock. By the time we called it day the FFA had grounded all flights everywhere and the somber unsure drive home was noticably less crowded as many had gone home early to comfort family. The next several days were marked by this utter disbelief and strange look of no planes swarming DFW or Love Field. Then, several of my co workers being ex- military started the "shock and awe" chant as the military planned their response culminating with the unrelenting bombing in the Middle East. American shock turned into country pride swelling with vengeance for payback that wasn't long in coming.
From retired and now Honorary Member Diana McMillin.
I was walking from the parking garage to my Morgan Stanley Dean Witter office in Addison.  The news had not been on the radio yet in the car, but when I got up to the 10th floor my monitor display showed smoke coming from World Trade I-the North Tower.  I didn’t understand what I was seeing.  Another girl was crying and filling me in on what was happening.  MSDW had 2,687 employees in the Trade Center in WT II and V.  My boss and members of my insurance department were at work that day on the 74th floor of the South Tower.  The MSDW Director of Security, Rick Rescorla, had evacuated most of his people due to the fire in WT I and did not let them return.  They were free when it became time to run for their lives when the buildings began to implode.  Mr. Rescorla saved so many people that day, but perished trying to lead others in the South Tower to safety.  I had been in the 74th floor office 11 months before.  I wouldn’t have known how to escape. So many floors and a cross over elevator halfway down.  We just watched in shock all day.
Addendum:  My son worked in the Russell Senate Office Building diagonally from the US Capitol and my daughter-in-law was an active flight attendant based at Reagan International Airport.  I did not know about their safety till later in the day.
From club president Mark Smith:
I remember vividly the morning of September 11, 2001.  I was at work sitting at my desk when someone came by and said “Hey, did you hear that a plane hit the World Trade Center in New York?”.   I immediately went down to our building cafeteria which had several TVs turned on.  To my surprise there was already a large crowd gathered watching the breaking coverage.  We all sat in shock and dismay as the events unfolded.  When things were clear this was an attack, people were frantically calling family and leaving the office to go home.  This was truly a time that I don’t think any American will forget who was a child or adult at the time.
From Member Bob Troyer:
While on a business trip to Ashland, Kentucky,
doing an installation of our Signature Identification System at a bank, the EVP overseeing the project for the bank called me to the break room where a TV was set up, just in time to watch the first tower collapse. At the time of course we didn’t have any idea what was actually happening. When air travel was canceled I decided I should at least complete the installation before going back to Lexington to figure out if ans when I was going to be able to return to Dallas. Fortunately, I was on the first plane out of Lexington on Friday morning.
From Member Samba Sey:
At the time as an 8 year old in my birth country of Gambia, hearing of the devastating attack was a shock. "Who dares attack America, the country we idolize?" As children, we were sure America would rain down missiles on whoever did this. As Muslims the attack didn’t represent who we were. These were the vengeful thoughts that kids have. But the George Bush press conference sent tears to everyone's eyes. We knew this was an attack that will not be revenged. As a kid in Africa we loved America just like it was our birth country. That event was a learning experience that the world is not a perfect place and it’s up to us to make it peaceful.
From Member Marilyn Pokorny:
I remember leaving Subaru  before lunch. Being located in NJ management wanted us with our families.  I was alone John was in Texas. I wouldn’t see him for over two weeks. It was a scary time. 
From Member Tom Atchison:
I was in Bible Study.  When I left Bible study on my way to Mama's Daughter Restaurant for breakfast with the boys.  I heard on the radio that the first tower had been hit.  As I walked in the restaurant the folks in there were talking about the second tower being hit.  For the next few days dead silence because of no vehicle or airplane traffic.
From Member John Pokorny:
On the second day of a new job in Texas, while on my way to the Lewisville ISD Technology office I was stunned by the incredulous radio announcement of a plane flying into the World Trade Center. In a matter of a minutes emotions spun around as it became clear that our country was under attack. My wife Marilyn is in New Jersey. And, I am in Texas. It was 2 weeks before she got a flight to Texas so we could be together.
We hope this little trip down memory lane has inspired you to recall how we as a country pulled together. Differences in political party, creed, ethnic origin or race were put aside as we supported our country and proudly displayed our flags.